Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Crack Detective Stories, May 1949 / Ten Detective Aces, November 1945

And lastly in this series of posts on detective pulp, I offer two of my earliest pulp scans. It's sort of painful for me to look at some of my earlier scans with uneven color and jacked contrast, etc., but it is what it is.


Scrollable Image

Get the scan here.

Here's one of those covers I'm embarrassed to admit to liking. There's something more than a little bit unwholesome in the faces of the terrified girls that endured all sorts of rough treatment on pulp covers. They were at the art of the scream long before the modern horror film. What this says about the male attraction to sex and violence, I can't say, but these covers are certainly rich in Freudian subtext and charged imagery.

Contents:



I particularly enjoyed "Murder in Small Packages" and "Deuces Dealt for Death". A lot of the stories seem to have a sort of gothic inner-workings of terror thing going on.

Splash samples:





A couple of ads within:



The simplicity of that. Send me a dollar please and I'll fill you in on life's big secrets. There are also all sorts of self-help, weight-loss, marital aid, and other types of ads for the insecure. I find it reassuring to know some of this cultural anxiety has been around for a while. But on to tonight's second issue:


Scrollable Image

Get the cover to cover scan here.

contents:


samples:

Scrollable Image


Scrollable Image

Next time on Darwination Scans, a quick sojourn in the land of milk and honey, a look at a selection of vintage girlie magazines from the 50s and 60s and more than likely a few words in adoration of the full-figured female.

2 comments:

Walker Martin said...

Thanks for the excellent series during the past few days on the detective pulps. Great covers and scans of the interiors. I'm just back from the Windy City Pulp Convention in Chicago and I'm suffering from withdrawal pains after almost overdosing on pulps in a dealer's room full of thousands of magazines.

Next big convention is PulpFest in Columbus, Ohio, July 30-Aug 1. Thousands of pulps will be on sale. Website details are at Pulpfest.com.

darwination said...

I keep telling myself I'm going to make it to one of these pulp conventions, but life is always so hectic. Maybe next year.

Outside of my own closet, I've never even seen a long box of pulps, and the idea of yards of pulp for sale is very appealing :)